Québec mosque shooting: five reportedly killed in Canada gun attack Two arrests have been made after fatal shooting during evening prayers on Sunday in Canada
Five people have reportedly been killed and several injured in a gun attack at a mosque in Québec City.
Witnesses said the shooting was carried out by three attackers and happened during evening prayers at about 8pm on Sunday.
Two arrests have been made, a police spokesman said. Local newspaper Le Soleil said police told them a third suspect could still be on the run. Details of the death toll have not been released, however, the mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, said five people were killed.
About 40 people were thought to be in the building – the Québec City Islamic cultural center on Sainte-Foy Street – at the time.
Yangui, who was not inside the mosque when the shooting occurred, said he got frantic calls from people at evening prayers. He did not know how many were injured, saying they had been taken to different hospitals across Quebec City.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” he said.
The city’s police said the site has been secured and all occupants evacuated. A large security cordon has been set up around the site.
Prime minister Justin Trudeau offered his condolences to those affected by the “cowardly attack”.
The premier of Québec, Philippe Couillard, said the government was taking action to keep people safe and stood in solidarity with the city’s Muslim population. he tweeted: “#Québec rejects categorically this barbaric violence. All our solidarity to the families of the victims, the injured and their families.”
Canada’s publics safety minister, Ralph Goodale, said he was “deeply saddened” by the deaths.
In June, during the holy month of Ramadan, a pig’s head was left at the mosque, CBC reported.